Service Provider for Business Development Services (BDS) to Build Business Capacity of Sanitation Entrepreneurs in Central Java
|Deadline||Monday, 4 January 2021|
Issued Date: December 10, 2020
Title: “Service Provider for Business Development Services (BDS) to Build Business Capacity of Sanitation Entrepreneurs in Central Java”
”Issuing Office & Email/Physical Address for Submission of Proposals:
Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (IUWASH Plus) Surakarta, Jl. Semangka No. 16, Kerten, Laweyan, Surakarta 57413
Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (IUWASH Plus) Jakarta, Mayapada Tower 10th Floor, Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav. 28, Jakarta 12920;
Deadline for Receipt of Proposals: January 04, 2021 at the latest 05.00 PM.
Soft copy to IWPLProc_InboxSOL@dai.com
Point of Contact: IWPLProc_Surakarta@dai.com
Anticipated Award Type: Firm Fixed Price Purchase Order
Basis for Award: An award will be made based on the Trade Off Method. The award will be issued to the responsible and reasonable offeror who provides the best value to DAI and its client using a combination of technical and cost/price factors
The USAID Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Penyehatan Lingkungan Untuk Semua (IUWASH PLUS) program is a five year-and-eight-month initiative designed to assist the Government of Indonesia (GOI) in increasing access to water supply and sanitation services as well as improving key hygiene behaviors among urban poor and vulnerable populations. USAID IUWASH PLUS (also referred to as the “Project”) works with governmental agencies, the private sector, NGOs, communities and others to achieve the following “high level” results:
- An increase of 1,100,000 people in urban areas with access to improved water supply service quality, of which at least 500,000 are from the poorest 40% of the population (also referred to as the “Bottom 40%” or “B40”), vulnerable groups or Indonesia’s eastern provinces; and
- An increase of 500,000 people in urban areas with access to safely managed sanitation.
To ensure that improvements in access to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services are sustained, USAID IUWASH PLUS is guided by a development hypothesis that focuses on strengthening service delivery systems, so they can more effectively reach the poorest and most vulnerable segments of the population. In order to achieve this at scale, the program undertakes activities through four interrelated components, including: 1) improving household WASH services; 2) strengthening city WASH institutional performance; 3) strengthening the WASH financing environment; and 4) advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication. In support of these components, USAID IUWASH PLUS also implements a Local Sustainability and Innovation Component (LSIC) that is designed to stimulate WASH innovations that strengthen community, private sector and government WASH service provision.
To achieve the above objectives, and within the framework of Sanitation Marketing, USAID IUWASH PLUS plans to collaborate with local organization as Business Development Services (BDS) that will support on WASH business in Central Java through PO mechanism. This BDS will strengthen the sanitation market, by strengthening businesses to entrepreneurs, such as masons, building material shop owner, and sanitation business associations, so that they are able to do business in this sector in a sustainable and independent manner. BDS will conduct assessments at Kota/Kabupaten Surakarta, Sukoharjo, Sragen, and Magelang to increase the capacity of sanitation entrepreneurs on sanitation marketing strategy that they need to run a sanitation business, and ultimately assist these sanitation entrepreneurs to be sustainable in running their businesses.
USAID IUWASH PLUS will work with BDS who have experiences in assisting entrepreneurs in the areas of marketing, business development, financial management, sales and Construction of septic tank.
USAID IUWASH PLUS teams will provide capacity building to BDS candidates in terms of sanitation infrastructure development and Market Based Sanitation. This capacity building is intended so that BDS candidates get an overview of this business, and get references to develop a sanitation business for entrepreneurs who will be accompanied.
Under this PO, activities to be carried out are ensuring that sanitation entrepreneurs can play their role in the sanitation market through training, mentoring and monitoring the sale of septic tanks and/ or toilets. The selecting of BDS candidates will use a full and open competition for these activities.
The PO program will be implemented and managed by USAID IUWASH PLUS CJRO. BDS candidates are encouraged to propose the methodology and detailed tasks they will undertake to reach the objectives.
Working closely with USAID IUWASH PLUS staff to better understand work undertaken to date, key local actors, and related issues and challenges, the main objectives of this scope of work are to:
- Assess the technical competence, business acumen, business development needs and requirements of local Sanitation Entrepreneurs
- Develop a curriculum and training materials that responds to needs identified by the assessments above and for each type of business
- Provide training and technical assistance to sanitation entrepreneurs in each of the selected areas so that they can achieve the targets as previously stated
- Develop a Business Plan based on the results of the assessment above
The selected BDS through the PO mechanism is expected to be able to carry out a series of activities in accordance with the methodology that has been approved by USAID IUWASH PLUS. The methodology must be prepared with reference to:
A. Assess the availability, technical competence, business acumen, business development needs and requirements of local Sanitation Entrepreneurs
- BDS candidates must identify the Sanitation Entrepreneurs capacity building needs to serve the community in the selected area
- BDS candidates must assess the capacity building and technical assistance that must be provided to each identified business provider. Capacity building that can be provided is training and technical assistance in developing business plans regarding identification of marketing areas and prospective customers, product marketing, product development, pricing, business development, financial management, after sales services and technical development of septic tanks.
- The above assessment must be documented with finding presented in the assessment report.
- The BDS candidates may choose their own tools to conduct the assessments.
B. Develop a curriculum and training materials that responds to needs identified by the assessments above and for each type of business.
BDS candidates must submit softcopy material to USAID IUWASH PLUS and USAID IUWASH PLUS can use training materials to increase the capacity of sanitation entrepreneurs in other regions.
C. Provide training, technical assistance and monitoring & evaluation to sanitation entrepreneurs in each of the selected areas so that they can achieve the targets as previously stated
- At the conclusion of training and technical assistance, the BDS must reassess the capacity of participating enterprises to determine any changes as compared to the assessments conducted under Task (1).
- BDS candidates must documented all complete training and technical assistance activities (pictures, material, timetable, speaker, attendance list, pre and posttest, discussion results with participants).
- All documents will be attached to the final report.
D. Develop a Business Plan based on the results of the assessment above
- BDS candidates must develop a Business Plan as a sustainable Sanitation Business Development Services Provider
- The Business Plan should consist of : company profile of BDS, promotion plan of BDS in sanitation sector, general description of the area, promotion of sanitation entrepreneurs, profiles and data of existing sanitation entrepreneurs, background of technical assistance, the need for capacity building of each sanitation entrepreneur, training plans and technical assistance to sanitation entrepreneurs, baseline and end line survey plan, and sustainability approach for Sanitation program.
As for the best result of the implementation on its duties, BDS activities will be under the supervision of Microfinance and Business Enabling Specialist (MBES) and will be supported and coordinated with Sanitation Marketing Team of Central Java Regional Office USAID IUWASH PLUS.
The output of the PO program is as follows:
- 1 BDS provider with increased capacity to support private sector participation in the sanitation sector;
- At least 15 sanitation entrepreneurs with increased capacity for developing and marketing sanitation products and services, have a business plan canvas model and are able to implement it.
- At least 75 sanitation products (toilets and/orseptic tanks) sold and installed by sanitation entrepreneurs (buyers must be listed by name by address) that receive assistance under this activity;
Contribution to the IUWASH PLUS Outcomes
This activity will contribute directly to the following IUWASH PLUS outcomes
|C1c||Number of WASH business development services firms accessible to targeted areas|
|C1d||Number of WASH enterprises with improved WASH product or service offerings as a result of U.S. Government assistance|
|C1g||Number of toilets and septic tank systems sold|
|C4c||Number of knowledge events or workshops held|
|C4d||Number of people with increased knowledge / skills / awareness as a result of events/ workshops|
Activity Location and Estimated Time Schedule
Working with substantial technical support and guidance from USAID IUWASH PLUS, the selected BDS entity is expected to be based in Surakarta with its field work focused on Kota/Kabupaten Surakarta, Sukoharjo, Sragen and Magelang.
Based on the task of this program, the assistance time will be implemented for 5 months, from January 18 to June 17, 2021.
BDS candidates must attach a Company Profile showing that they:
- Having experience in assisting small and micro entrepreneurs for the marketing sector, business development, financial management and product sales
- Having experience in providing training and technical assistance in the aforementioned sectors to small and micro entrepreneurs
- Have a good vision/ understanding to provide technical assistance to entrepreneurs in the WASH sector in the USAID IUWASH PLUS assisted area within the framework of implementing Market Based Sanitation
- Have a sustainability plan for developing Market Based Sanitation in Indonesia
To support the foregoing, BDS candidates must have experienced specialists in the training and technical assistance sectors for small and medium entrepreneurs. The specialists are required to attach their respective Curriculum Vitae.
Selection of Service Provider and Evaluation Criteria
The BDS will be selected based on Full & Open Competition. The BDS have to provide proposal which consist of Technical Proposal (background of the program, experience, tasks to be conducted, methodology, schedule, qualification of personnel) and cost proposal.
The technical proposal will be evaluated based on:
Qualification of proposed personnel 30 %
Experience of organization on training and technical assistance for entrepreneurs 30 %
Methodology and work-plan 40 %
Estimated Bidding Schedule
The implementation of the program will be conducted by open recruitment to get the best candidates based on the schedule as follows:
|1||RFP Issued to potential bidder||10 December 2020|
|2||Pre Bid Meeting and Q & A||16 December 2020|
|3||Proposal Submission||04 January 2021|
|4||Proposal Evaluation||05 January 2021|
|5||Proposal Clarification||08 January 2021|
|6||Contract Signing||11 January 2021|
|7||Start Filed Activity||18 January 2021|
- Bill of Quantity
- RFP REQ-CJRO-20-0217-Service Provider for BDS to Build Capacity of Sanitation Entrepenuer-Central Java
Available in English (English)