Septic Tank Census of 5,000 Households Ternate, North Maluku Province, SSEI Region
|Deadline||Monday, 20 May 2019|
Septic Tank Census of 5,000 Households Ternate, North Maluku Province, SSEI Region
Issue Date : May 6, 2019
Title: “Septic Tank Census of 5,000 Households Ternate, North Maluku Province, SSEI Region”
”Issuing Office & Email/Physical Address for Submission of Proposals:
Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (IUWASH Plus) Jakarta , Mayapada Tower 10th Floor, Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav. 28, Jakarta 12920 ;
Email : IWPLProc_LSIC@dai.com
Deadline for Receipt of Proposals: May 20, 2019 (at the latest 17.00 p.m WIB/WITA)
Soft copy to : IWPLProc_LSIC@dai.com
Point of Contact: IWPLProc_LSIC@dai.com
Anticipated Award Type: Firm Fixed Price Purchase Order
Basis for Award: An award will be made based on the Trade Off Method. The award will be issued to the responsible and reasonable offeror who provides the best value to DAI and its client using a combination of technical and cost/price factors.
The USAID Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene ‘Penyehatan Lingkungan untuk Semua’ (IUWASH PLUS) program is a five-and-a-half-year initiative designed to assist the Government of Indonesia in increasing access to water supply and sanitation services as well as improving key hygiene behaviors among urban poor and vulnerable populations. Implemented by DAI Global LLC, IUWASH PLUS works with governmental agencies, the private sector, NGOs, communities and others to achieve the following “high level” results:
• An increase of 1,100,000 people in urban areas with access to improved water supply services of which at least 500,000 are from the poorest 40% of the population; and
• An increase of 500,000 people in urban areas with access to a safely managed sanitation services.
To ensure that improvements in access to WASH services are sustained, USAID IUWASH PLUS is guided by a development hypothesis that focuses on strengthening service delivery systems, so they can more effectively reach the poorest and most vulnerable segments of the population. In order to achieve this at scale, the program undertakes activities through four interrelated components, including: 1) improving household WASH services; 2) strengthening cities WASH institutional performance; 3) strengthening the WASH financing environment; and 4) advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication. In support of these components, IUWASH PLUS also implements a Local Sustainability and Innovation Component (LSIC) that is designed to stimulate WASH innovations that strengthen community, private sector and government WASH service provision.
B. Activity Background
The USAID IUWASH PLUS regional program in Eastern Indonesia includes Kota Ternate, which despite strong commitment from Local Government faces serious challenges in improving and increasing safely-managed sanitation services to its population, including:
• Ternate has a regulation governing domestic wastewater, including basic wastewater tariff, however, the Waste Water Operator (UPTD-PAL) was just recently established.
• There is no comprehensive oversight of the current sanitation infrastructure (especially regarding availability and type of individual sanitation systems).
• Ternate has an IPLT (sludge treatment plant), but it is not in optimal condition and requires improvements in operation and management.
• Ternate currently has only one (1) truck for collecting and transporting sludge.
• Ternate does not have a clear strategy or program to promote and market improved sanitation services, including construction of proper septic tanks or regular desludging.
As part of the promotion of Safely Managed Sanitation systems, the USAID IUWASH PLUS regional team discussed the above issues with local government of Ternate city, who expressed great interest and commitment in working together to address all the above points and further replicating all activities initiated by the USAID IUWASH PLUS program. While the USAID IUWASH PLUS Regional and National teams have already started addressing the first bullet above (finalizing domestic wastewater regulations and establishing UPTD) internally, for the other issues raised above, additional substantial technical support will be required, which needs to be provided by third parties, through the LSIC mechanisms. During internal discussions, an LSIC package was identified, which will complement the work already started by USAID IUWASH PLUS and together will address bottlenecks in critical aspects such as regulation, institutional, and infrastructure.
To support Safely Managed Sanitation systems, the Ternate City Government, through the UPTD PAL, under the Dinas Pekerjaan Umum dan Penataan Ruang needs to collect household septic tank data, regarding conditions and locations so that they can start implementing domestic waste management activities through scheduled desludging services and disposal to the Septage Treatment Plant
The objectives of this SOW to improve the ability UPTD PAL under the Dinas Pekerjaan Umum dan Penataan Ruang through as follows:
1) Use USAID IUWASH PLUS Septic Tank Survey (STS) app, to identify the septic tank systems of existing household (dimensions, materials used, location, physical condition, system used, availability of manhole, etc.), through a septic tank census at 5,000 households in Ternate City.
2) Analysis of septic tank census data to obtain 2,000 households as potential customers of scheduled desludging service provider, in which 200 are ready for scheduled desludging implementation.
The following activities will be conducted in the septic tank census in Ternate City:
• Lead discussion with PEMDA Ternate and USAID IUWASH PLUS to agree on census targets and locations
• Coordinate that PEMDA Ternate, USAID IUWASH PLUS and the local implementer/service provider (vendor) prepare questionnaires to be used on census.
• Installation of USAID IUWASH PLUS Septic Tank Survey (STS) app, web portal on cloud server
• Support Census Administrators training on how to set up questionnaires and users, installation of Android survey app on smartphone, and monitoring census implementation
• Conduct Census Enumerators Training on how to conducting field surveys
• Implement Census by Enumerators to conduct survey to targeted 5,000 households under supervision of System Administrator and Survey Manager
• Based on survey results, the local implementer/service provider (vendor) conduct an analysis to select 2,000 household as potential customers of scheduled desludging services, while 200 of them are ready for desludging implementation
• Conduct workshop survey result done by the local implementer/service provider (vendor)
The following matrix is the time schedule of all activities on septic tank census
C. Link with USAID IUWASH PLUS High Level Results and Outcomes
The above activities will contribute to the following USAID IUWASH PLUS outcomes:
1. HR2 : Number of people gaining access to safely managed sanitation services as a result of USG assistance
2. T1 : Number of people trained
3. C4c : Number of knowledge events
4. C4d : Number of people with increased knowledge/skills/awareness as a result of events/workshops.
D. Expected Result
Expected results of this census:
• Survey form is prepared in android system adequate to identify existing septic tank condition and potential sanitation services.
• Four system administrators trained on how to conduct prepare questionnaires, setting up users and monitoring census process.
• 20 enumerators trained on how to conduct interview respondents and technical identification of existing septic tanks, land condition, and other supporting factors required in the census
• 5,000 houses are surveyed in Ternate City.
• Census data analysis completed which can determine the 2,000 households that have the potential to become a scheduled desludging service customer, in which 200 are ready for scheduled desludging.
E. Budget Estimate
Budget for the existing septic tank census will be given by IUWASH PLUS from LSIC fund. Budget estimate for this activity is around Rp. 200.000.000,- up to 252.000.000- The budget includes fees for project staffs including enumerators, local transport cost, preparation meetings, census supporting tool, computer rental, documentation and reporting.
F. Payment Schedule
The payment will be made through 3 (three) transactions after all required deliverable are submitted to USAID IUWASH PLUS and verified by technical team (National & SSEI RO team) and UPTD PAL Kota Ternate. The detail schedule is as follows:
G. Working Arrangements and Timing
The activity will be implemented primarily locally with the UPTD PAL Kota Ternate, Maluku Utara. However, Urban Sanitation Specialist and East Indonesia Coordinator in SSEI Regional Office will manage it under the coordination of the Senior Sanitation Institutional Specialist and National Coordinator Urban Sanitation Sector Jakarta Office in Component-2. In addition, regular coordination, including progress reporting, will be conducted between the local implementer/service provider (vendor), Person in charge, and relevant USAID IUWASH PLUS staffs/team.
The local implementer/service provider (vendor) will be engaged for a period of 3 months after contract signing
H. Required Qualifications and Experience
USAID IUWASH PLUS will seek a Local implementer/service provider (vendor) to implement the above work of which must have the following qualification:
– The local implementer/service provider (vendor) must have experience-conducting census, understanding domestic waste water management and Information Technology
– Each University/ NGO consist of the qualified personnel (not limited to) as follows:
1. Census Manager/ Supervisor
• Should have a bachelor degree in environmental engineering
• Experience in similar program/utility sector for more than 1 client
• Understand the process of Septic Tank Survey and IT program
2. System Administrator
• Should have a bachelor degree in Information Technology or Engineering
• More than 3 years’ experience in managing computer networking system, including Internet and email.
3. Admin support staff
• Minimum have a Diploma in administration/ management
• Experienced enough to financial administration
• Experienced enough to correspondence office
• Experience using the computer system of administration
• Understand of personal management
• College student or at least high school graduates
• Own an Android smartphone with accurate GPS capacity and internet data package
• Own a vehicle (motorcycle) for census mobility
• preferably experienced conducting surveys with a smartphone
I. Selection of Service Provider and Evaluation Criteria
The local implementer/service provider (vendor) will be selected based on tender result. The candidate of local implementer/service provider (vendor) has to provide proposal, which consist of Technical Proposal (background of the program, Task to be conducted, methodology, schedule), cost proposal and CV.
The proposal will be evaluated based on:
1. Qualification of proposed personnel : 60 %
2. Experience of University/ NGO : 20 %
3. Methodology : 20 %
J. Proposed Mechanism
Proposed mechanism of the activity will be implemented through fixed price subcontract.
Available in Indonesia (Indonesian)