Individual Consultant – Governance Specialist for East Java Regional Office in Surabaya
(JOB CODE: STTA/GS_EJRO)
The USAID Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Penyehatan Lingkungan Untuk Semua (IUWASH PLUS) program is a five year-and-eight months initiative designed to assist the Government of Indonesia (GOI) in increasing access to water supply and sanitation services as well as improving key hygiene behaviors among urban poor and vulnerable populations. USAID IUWASH PLUS works with governmental agencies, the private sector, NGOs, communities and others to achieve the following “high level” results:
- An increase of 1,100,000 people in urban areas with access to improved water supply service quality, of which at least 500,000 are from the poorest 40% of the population (also referred to as the “Bottom 40%” or “B40”), vulnerable groups or Indonesia’s eastern provinces; and
- An increase of 500,000 people in urban areas with access to safely managed sanitation.
To ensure that improvements in access to WASH services are sustained, USAID IUWASH PLUS is guided by a development hypothesis that focuses on strengthening service delivery systems, so they can more effectively reach the poorest and most vulnerable segments of the population. In order to achieve this at scale, the program undertakes activities through four interrelated components, including: 1) improving household WASH services; 2) strengthening city WASH institutional performance; 3) strengthening the WASH financing environment; and 4) advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication. In support of these components, USAID IUWASH PLUS also implements a Local Sustainability and Innovation Component (LSIC) that is designed to stimulate WASH innovations that strengthen community, private sector and government WASH service provision.
To achieve these outcomes IUWASH-PLUS need high caliber candidate to fill the position of
Individual Consultant – Governance Specialist for East Java Regional Office in Surabaya (JOB CODE: STTA/GS_EJRO)
The primary objective of the above position is to provide assistance to the IUWASH PLUS team in coordinating governance activities which are designed to support increased access to improved WASH services, especially for the poorest 40% of the urban population. This will involve strengthening the enabling environment in particular through policy development, advocacy for increased budget allocations to sector activities, and improving coordination among key local government (LG), community-based and private sector stakeholders. Specifically, the Regional Governance Specialist will support the IUWASH PLUS Project’s achievement of governance related targets under Component two: “Strengthening City and District WASH Institution Performance.”
Scope of Works
The Consultant will coordinate IUWASH PLUS governance-related programs related to their designated region. His/her responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Ensuring strong relationships with policy makers, at least with SEKDA, Parliament and Chief SKPD WASH sector;
- Identify and assess needs among on-going or planned LG and/or Provincial government WASH programs that prioritize improved services for the urban poor and identify how IUWASH PLUS can best support or interact with such programs;
- Assess existing PEMDA policies for and budget allocations to the WASH sector, recommend improvements where required, support implementation of these improvements, and monitor results and impact on access to water and sanitation services, especially for the poor.
- Support agreed advocacy efforts to expand political support for improving WASH services, amongst provincial and local governments, local legislative bodies and other relevant local stakeholders.
- Actively support sector coordination within and among LGs as well as with other donors, the private sector and communities, including the implementation of visioning workshops, support of sector coordination meetings, etc.
- Support and facilitate the development of regulations related to WASH services, especially for the poorest 40% of the population, and among LGs and, where possible, at the provincial level.
- Advocate and facilitate SKPD in the WASH sector to formulate plans and budgets, based on minimum WASH service standards, at provincial and local levels.
- Advocate for local governments to support increased capital investment (for PDAM and septage management operations) to increase water availability and allow for improved service expansion.
- Improve ability of local governments to plan, regulate, and monitor WASH utility performance, including improving the financial profile of service providers and improved oversight by PDAM Dewan Pengawas and similar supervisory bodies.
- Prepare, implement, monitor and report on the USAID IUWASH PLUS governance activities in the region, in line with approved project proposals and budgets.
- Prepare a performance assessment of drinking water and sanitation services through the Governance Index, and support the assessment of the Sanitation Index, PDAM index and APBD index.
- Support and help facilitate the formation of PPK-BLUD Gresik District.
- Develop and monitor SOWs for field activities, and oversee implementation of related training programs, seminars, promotion activities, exchange visits.
- Ensure strong linkages with other regional specialist in Component 2, as well as with other component; Component 1: Improving household WASH services; Component 3, Strengthening the WASH Financing Environment; Component 4: Advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication and Component-7 Gender Mainstreaming .
- Monitor all governance programs in the region, in line with agreed activities and budgets and the project’s Activity Monitoring Plan (AMP), ensuring complete accuracy in all reporting of achievements.
- Maintain regular contact with other Regional Governance Specialists, joining regular IUWASH PLUS meetings, and providing regular updates to the Regional Manager and National Coordinator for Governance on on-going and planned activities.
- Other tasks consistent with the above as required by the supervisor.
- Have (at least) a bachelor’s degree in Law, Economic and Management; Public Administration, Policy Development or any field of discipline;
- Minimum having 10 years of professional experiences in Governance support or equivalent;
- Having experience and knowledge in handling Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene Issues
- Ability to support regional programs in collaboration with Local- and/or Provincial government to prioritize urban water and sanitation programs and understanding of approaches to engaging civil society in public sector performance appraisal;
- Experience with USAID programs is highly desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and Indonesian;
- Demonstrated experience in writing of technical reports;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment as well as independently with limited supervision.
Expected Start Date: May 2021
Interested applicants are invited to send a complete application with 3 references to IUWASH_plus_recruitment@dai.com before April 27, 2021. Please write the job CODE in the subject line of the email. We regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of all applications and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Available in English (English)