Consultant for BDS with the Development of a Strategy for Embedding Microfinance into Sanitation Programs, Jakarta
JOB CODE: FPICA/MFI_WJDT
The USAID Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Penyehatan Lingkungan Untuk Semua (IUWASH PLUS) program is a five year and eight months initiative designed to assist the Government of Indonesia (GOI) in increasing access to water supply and sanitation services as well as improving key hygiene behaviors among urban poor and vulnerable populations. USAID IUWASH PLUS works with governmental agencies, the private sector, NGOs, communities and others to achieve the following “high level” results:
- An increase of 1,100,000 people in urban areas with access to improved water supply service quality, of which at least 500,000 are from the poorest 40% of the population (also referred to as the “Bottom 40%” or “B40”), vulnerable groups or Indonesia’s eastern provinces; and
- An increase of 500,000 people in urban areas with access to safely managed sanitation.
To ensure that improvements in access to WASH services are sustained, USAID IUWASH PLUS is guided by a development hypothesis that focuses on strengthening service delivery systems, so they can more effectively reach the poorest and most vulnerable segments of the population. In order to achieve this at scale, the program undertakes activities through four interrelated components, including: 1) improving household WASH services; 2) strengthening city WASH institutional performance; 3) strengthening the WASH financing environment; and 4) advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication. In support of these components, USAID IUWASH PLUS also implements a Local Sustainability and Innovation Component (LSIC) that is designed to stimulate WASH innovations that strengthen community, private sector and government WASH service provision.
To achieve these outcomes IUWASH-PLUS need high caliber candidate to fill the position of
Individual Consultant for Business Development Services (BDS) with the Development of a Strategy for Embedding Microfinance into Sanitation Programs in Jakarta for West Java, DKI Jakarta & Tangerang (WJDT) Regional Office
Job Code : FPICA/MFI_WJDT
Working closely with USAID IUWASH PLUS staff to better understand work was undertaken to date, Microfinance Institution, other key local actors, and related issues and challenges, the main objectives of this scope of work are to:
- Analyze the sanitation market segmentation in Kabupaten Karawang, Kabupaten Bogor and Kota Depok, and map the market target areas for sanitation micro-credit distribution.
- Assess the supply chain of sanitation marketing; and
- Develop the Business Plan for a Market Based Sanitation Implementation program in the three kota/kabupaten.
- Assess the competence requirements of sanitation entrepreneur’s capability and improve their capacity.
- Provide sanitation development loans to target beneficiaries to have a decent sanitation system.
Scope of Works
The selected BDS will carry out series of activities among others and not limited to the following:
- Desk Review and Preparation
Review all documents developed by IUWASH and current IUWASH PLUS program and these include, but are not limited to:
a. Mentoring documents that have been implemented to MFI and Sanitation Entrepreneur
b. Data that relates to market mapping.
- Analysis of the sanitation market segmentation in the three kota and kabupaten of Kabupaten Karawang, Kabupaten Bogor and Kota Depok and map the market target areas for sanitation micro credit distribution.
- Assessment Supply Chain of Sanitation Marketing
a. Assess the local market for household-level sanitation products and services targeted that meet national standards (SNI) i.e. hardware and sanitary shops;
b. Assess the availability, technical competence, business acumen of local:
– Micro-scale construction-related businesses;
– Small and medium-scale construction-related businesses;
– Other businesses that will complement the sanitation business in the chosen area.
- Needs assessment
a. Business development needs and requirements to help the sanitation entrepreneurs grow and sustain.
b. Assess the capacity building and technical assistance that must be provided to each identified business provider. Capacity building that can be provided is training and technical assistance in developing business plans regarding identification of marketing areas and prospective customers, product marketing, product development, pricing, business development, financial management, after sales services and technical development of septic tanks.
c. Strengthen the sanitation market, by strengthening businesses management to entrepreneurs, such as masons, building material producers, sanitation business associations, banks and microfinance institutions so that they are able to provide services in the sanitation sector in a sustainable and independent manner.
- Business Plan Development
a. Must have a sustainability plan for developing Market Based Sanitation in the three locations; and
b. The business plan must explain: general description of the area, promotion of sanitation entrepreneurs, profiles and data of existing sanitation entrepreneurs, background of technical assistance, the need for capacity building of each sanitation entrepreneur, training plans and technical assistance to sanitation entrepreneurs and sustainability approach for WASH program.
Minimum General Qualifications:
The BDS Consultant required for this program will work for 6 months period, with the following qualifications:
- Education Background (20%)
S-1 bachelor’s degree, in marketing, economic development, social, or other relative discipline.
- Working Method (50%)
a. Understand about promotion and marketing for specific and unusual product
b. Experience working with Microfinance institution in planning loan disbursement in specific sectors, preferably in the sanitation sector
c. Experience in business development
d. Good coordination and networking with stakeholders.
e. Take advantage of facilitating the sanitation sector.
f. Project result oriented.
- Past Performance (30%)
a. Minimum 8 year strong experiences in promotion and market development.
b. Minimum 5 year strong experiences in business development.
c. Preferably having work experience in NGO/government projects in sanitation.
Expected Start Date: February – March 2021
Interested applicants are invited to send a complete application with 3 references to IUWASH_plus_recruitment@dai.com before Jan 31, 2021. Please write the job CODE in the subject line of the email. We regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of all applications and only shortlisted candidates will be notified
Available in English (English)