The USAID Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Penyehatan Lingkungan Untuk Semua (IUWASH PLUS) program is a five-and-a-half-year initiative designed to assist the Government of Indonesia (GOI) in increasing access to water supply and sanitation services as well as improving key hygiene behaviors among urban poor and vulnerable populations. USAID IUWASH PLUS works with governmental agencies, the private sector, NGOs, communities and others to achieve the following “high level” results:
- An increase of 1,100,000 people in urban areas with access to improved water supply service quality, of which at least 500,000 are from the poorest 40% of the population (also referred to as the “Bottom 40%” or “B40”), vulnerable groups or Indonesia’s eastern provinces; and
- An increase of 500,000 people in urban areas with access to safely managed sanitation.
To ensure that improvements in access to WASH services are sustained, USAID IUWASH PLUS is guided by a development hypothesis that focuses on strengthening service delivery systems, so they can more effectively reach the poorest and most vulnerable segments of the population. In order to achieve this at scale, the program undertakes activities through four interrelated components, including: 1) improving household WASH services; 2) strengthening city WASH institutional performance; 3) strengthening the WASH financing environment; and 4) advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication. In support of these components, USAID IUWASH PLUS also implements a Local Sustainability and Innovation Component (LSIC) that is designed to stimulate WASH innovations that strengthen community, private sector and government WASH service provision.
To achieve these outcomes IUWASH-PLUS need high caliber candidate to fill the position of
Communication Specialist based in Jakarta Office (JOB CODE : COMS-JKT)
The Communication Specialist will work under the direction of the USAID IUWASH PLUS National Coordinator for Project Communication as part of the Project Communication Team within the Advocacy and Communication (component 4) Team. In general, he/she must have the ability to manage the production of USAID IUWASH PLUS communication and informational materials and write compelling stories for articles and other program publications, as well as providing both written and oral translations (Bahasa Indonesia and English), with specific responsibilities for the communication products under USAID-SECO partnership.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The tasks and responsibilities of the Communication Specialist will include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. Support the regular task on developing, producing, and disseminating of communication and knowledge products, through:
- Supporting the writing and translating of feature articles for project reports, e-newsletter, website, signature programs, and other program activities;
- Providing support for a broad range of public USAID IUWASH PLUS communication and promotional products and events;
- Edit and proofread contents and correct for errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, and improve readability of USAID IUWASH PLUS communication products;
- Assist the content management and updates of USAID IUWASH PLUS website and social media accounts,
- Receive technical guidance from the National Coordinator for Project Communication.
2. Support the coordination of USAID-SECO Partnership communication, through:
- Ensuring the compilation of input from USAID-SECO Partnership for key project deliverables to meet the established schedules and formats, including Quarterly Progress Reports (QPRs), Annual Progress Reports (APRs), Annual Work Plans, and Technical Reports;
- Supporting the production of USAID-SECO Partnership Knowledge Products and Knowledge Events, including other relevant IEC products;
- Writing and translating articles on USAID-SECO Partnership for project reports, newsletter, weekly highlights, and other publications;
- Collecting photo database from USAID-SECO Partnership activities;
- Providing write-ups relevant to USAID-SECO Partnership activities for USAID IUWASH PLUS website and social media accounts;
- Ensuring all reports, presentation, communication products, and events under the USAID-SECO Partnership Program are in full compliance with USAID communications policies and guidelines;
- Maintain regular contact with other specialists at the national and regional level to support communication issues.
Minimum General Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as mass communication, journalism, literature, or similar;
- Minimum 8 years of previous experience as communication specialist or similar. Having experience in working in non-profit institutions or development projects such as USAID projects is an asset;
- Strong writing and translation skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia;
- Experience in developing and producing IEC materials;
- Experience in editing and formatting reports and publications, both print and electronic;
- High level of Microsoft Office competency (especially Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher). Ability to use design platforms and programs is a plus;
- Ability to work with various project staff to improve their write-ups when necessary;
- Experience with the media is an advantage;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines with quick turnarounds
Expected Start Date: August 2020
Interested applicants are invited to send a complete application with 3 references to IUWASH_plus_recruitment@dai.com before July 11, 2020. Please write the job CODE in the subject line of the email. We regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of all applications and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Available in English (English)