The USAID Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Penyehatan Lingkungan Untuk Semua (IUWASH PLUS) project is a five-year initiative designed to assist the Government of Indonesia (GOI) in increasing access to water supply and sanitation services as well as improving key hygiene behaviors among urban poor and vulnerable populations. USAID IUWASH PLUS works with governmental agencies, the private sector, NGOs, communities and others to achieve the following “high level” results:
1. An increase of one million people in urban areas with access to improved water supply service quality, of which at least 500,000 are from the poorest 40% of the population (also referred to as the “Bottom 40%” or “B40”), vulnerable groups or Indonesia’s eastern provinces; and
2. An increase of 500,000 people in urban areas with access to safely managed sanitation.
To ensure that improvements in access to WASH services are sustained, USAID IUWASH PLUS is guided by a development hypothesis that focuses on strengthening service delivery systems, so they can more effectively reach the poorest and most vulnerable segments of the population. In order to achieve this at scale, the program undertakes activities through four interrelated components, including: 1) improving household WASH services; 2) strengthening city WASH institutional performance; 3) strengthening the WASH financing environment; and 4) advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication. In support of these components, USAID IUWASH PLUS also implements a Local Sustainability and Innovation Component (LSIC) that is designed to stimulate WASH innovations that strengthen community, private sector and government WASH service provision.
To achieve these outcomes IUWASH-PLUS need high caliber candidate to fill the position of
Urban Water Supply Specialist for CJRO in Surakarta (JOB CODE : UWS-CJRO)
Task and Responsibility:
The primary objective of the Urban Water Supply Specialist position for the designated region is to coordinate IUWASH PLUS support to improved water supply Services, especially for the poorest 40% of the urban population, through strengthening of water service providers and enhancing their relations with external stakeholders (local, provincial and national level). Specifically, the Urban Water Supply Specialist will support the IUWASH PLUS Project’s achievement of water supply related targets under Component Two: “Strengthening city WASH institutional performance”.
The Urban Water Supply Specialist will coordinate the overall IUWASH PLUS Water Supply program in the designated region. His/her responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
· Undertake regular technical assessments in the area of urban water supply service delivery for the target locations to identify existing conditions, main issues, potential demand, possible conflict with other programs and commitment from key Local stakeholders.
· Build consensus with local stakeholders (PDAM, Dewan Pengawas , PEMDA, and others) for priorities on IUWASH PLUS program activities for Urban Water Supply, with special focus on Identifing and supporting programs to increase water supply access for poor neighborhoods, Non-revenue water reduction, energy efficiency, increase in production capacity, SOP, etc
· Support preparation of IUWASH annual regional work plans and budgets resulting in agreed action plans with local partners (PDAM, PEMDA), incorporating cost-sharing and /or leveraging of local and National stakeholders.
· Develop SOWs for regional-level water supply activities (for STTA, events, subcontracts, trainings, exchange visits, FGD, discussion forums, etc.) and monitor and report on their perfroamcce / results, troubleshooting issues as they arise and keeping relevant Regional Managers and National Coordinators well-informed.
· Contribute to the regular IUWASH PLUS progress reports regarding all Regional Urban Water Supply activities
· Monitor and track progress of all regional-level water supply activities, ensuring the highest degree of accuracy in reports and in accordance with relevant indicators in the approved IUWASH PLUS Activity Monitoring Plan (AMP).
· Maintain regular contact with other Regional Urban Water Supply Specialists, join regular IUWASH meetings, and provide regular updates to Regional Manager and National Coordinator Urban Water Supply on ongoing and planned field work with local partners.
· Ensure strong linkages between Regional Water Supply programs and activities of Component 2 with other programs and activities in the same Component, as well as with other IUWASH PLUS Components, including: Component 1, Improving household WASH services; Component 3, Strengthening the WASH financing environment; and Component 4, Advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication.
· Identify opportunities and support activities to utilize the Local Sustainability & Innovation (LSI) Program to advance increased safe water access to poorest 40% of the population.
· Other tasks as required by supervisor.
· Input related to the above for IUWASH biweekly, quarterly, annual and other reports as well as workplan.
· Accurate data in accordance with the IUWASH PLUS Activity Monitoring Plan (AMP)
· Technical and programmatic reports, manuals, event materials, articels and other publications related to the above.
Must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in environmental engineering, geology etc.
5 to 10 years of experience supporting increased access to improve piped water services through the strengthening of local water service providers, especially PDAM
Experiences to support PDAM to improve PDAM performance, such as to prepare PDAM programme, to prepare Business Plan, prepare feasibility, evaluation existing and prepare detailed design of production unit and pipe distribution network, prepare activities to improve PDAM operation activities such as reduction of Non Revenue Water, Prepare Standard Operation Procedure, conduct customer survey/real demand survey, meter reading etc
Experience building relations with external stakeholders. excellent team player with a range of people, excellent interpersonal skills, experience in community facilitation, training and organizing work
Able to work independently in limited supervision/facility in his/her designated areas
Experience with USAID or other Donor Programs will be an advantage
Experience in report writing, preferable in English
Expected Start Date : April 2019
Interested applicants are invited to send a complete application with 3 references to IUWASH_plus_recruitment@dai.com or IUWASHPLUS.firstname.lastname@example.org before March 11, 2019 . Please write the job CODE in the subject line of the email. We regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of all applications and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Available in Indonesia (Indonesian)